Wednesday 18 September 2013

Durban Day 2013



I recall a little tiff I had with an East Coast Radio presenter over a previous article I wrote which painted the ECR organisation in a bad light. He mentioned that his team had a meeting after reading my post, but decided not to persue the matter because I had paid for my ticket. He felt that if I had paid then I must have wanted to go, and that was all that mattered. I pointed out that I had paid for my ticket, but that I would not do so again.

I went against my own feelings and attended another ECR event: Durban Day. I know there have been a lot of write-ups about the event and I know that this post is after the fact. So, instead of writing about my feelings, I will stick to the events of the day.

I arrived at the stadium to a huge crowd of what I was told was about 12000 people. I don't know the exact number or if this is correct, but what I saw was a sea of white faces and a few dots of colour. I had not read the rules which stated that although you were allowed to bring a picnic, beverages were prohibited. This is my own fault, and so I cannot complain that I had my sealed plastic bottle of water confiscated. My friends were allowed to take their glass bottles of alcohol onto the premises. Perhaps security had not seen the alcohol bottles among the Nicknacks. 

I paid R150 entrance to celebrate Durban, but listened to bands from outside the province instead - although Toya Delazy did mention she was from Berea. Perhaps next time we could paid some local artists to perform at a day which honours their city. 

The day ended late and I drove home feeling like I had waisted my time. I wish I had spent my R150 on a local gig instead, that would have honoured Durban.

And now I will say again that, unless things change, I don’t ever want to attend another ECR function again.

No comments:

Post a Comment