Thursday 7 November 2013

Mavis



I am so exhausted this morning. This is the norm for a Thursday as the beginning of the week is dedicated to Mavis. Mavis is our 'maid' for want of a better, less pregnant-with-apartheid word. Or to my mind: Wonder woman. Not only is she a good friend and mother figure, she literally whips my world into shape, leaving behind her a wake of order and a pleasant wood polish smell. Her name really is Mavis - this is not just me being an ignorant mlungu

It starts on Tuesday. All the laundry must be washed, ironed and folded back into the cupboard. The floors need to be scrubbed; mirrors and windows need to be polished. Dusting and scrubbing - it goes on all day and I actually enjoy it because I see it as my exercise. It has to be done on Tuesday because Mavis comes to clean on Wednesdays and we wouldn't want her to think we actually live like this. 

Although I spend all day cleaning, every Wednesday when Mavis walks in she clucks her tongue lets out a gasp and tells me she will have a long day ahead of her. I am so ashamed.

No comments:

Post a Comment