Monday 28 January 2013

Red Bull Studio Nights - Origin


alex sweet charity
You have to forgive my sweaty excitement - I was sweating and excited!

So last Friday night was one of my best nights at The Origin Nightclub in Durban. I have been so excited for this night since I found out that some of my favourite South African DJ’s were playing. About two weeks before this event I set up an interview with my friend Das Kapital, who would be closing the event as one of the headlining DJ’s. So my excitement was about through the roof – luckily I was taking my friend and partner in crime Amy with to keep me grounded. And considering that I was actually working at this event, I really needed her.

alex sweet charity
Oh just Origin haze

We got to the club and ordered our first drink and, like every good night, I had tequila to get started. The first thing I did was get hold of Das Kapital. The wonderful lad came and rescued us and the next thing we knew we were sipping drinks backstage. I was trying to be a true journalist, armed with pen, writing pad and my voice recorder (also I was feeling a little shy so it helps to look official). There I stood in the midst of these people whom I knew intimately through their music, but they had no clue who I was. I couldn't help worrying that everyone would think I was a groupie trying to get laid. So I whipped out all my instruments and started my interview with Das Kapital. The man has got to be one of the most impressive people I have met. One of the first things he did say was that he loves music (but there is no way he will ever play Levels, even if it gets the crowd going). I could not help but get caught up in his passion.
alex sweet charity
Haezer doing his thang

I had such a sobering moment when I saw Haezer in the corner of the room. I am so embarrassed to admit this, but I was star struck.  Ever since I heard James Bond I have been a mad fan! I was such a loser; I couldn't even go up to him and introduce myself because I am a social retard. So I smiled awkwardly and quickly looked away and carried on trying to look as if I belonged.

alex sweet charity
Toyota Cressida
doing her thang
All of a sudden I had an extraordinary encounter - I met a real live groupie! She was everything you would imagine her to be. She was blonde, beautiful, scantily clad and she had a backpack on. I can only imagine that the contents of this satchel contained some overnight supplies so that she would be armed for a night-time encounter. She came up to DK and me and said something unintelligible and then she was off onto the next guy. I asked him if this was a common phenomenon at a gig and he just smiled. Obviously it is one of the perks of the job.

Sibot and Toyota Cressida got up and did their thang on stage. As I watched I couldn't help thinking that I have an amazing life and that I am a very lucky girl! But to get the most of the set I went onto the dance floor to party with the rest of Origin. It was just too good to pass up. Next up was Haezer. I rushed backstage to watch like some sad puppy begging to be adopted from the SPCA. But just my luck, the man has a girlfriend. Of course he does!


alex sweet charity
Iam  Nutscratchers

alex sweet charity
Jay Tweek back stage
There was a table and fridges backstage are filled with drinks. I got chatting to the local Durban DJs; Jay Tweek and Iam Nutscratchers, where we talked politics, law and living in Durban. They then poured tequila down my throat. It was 2am and DK told  me he was about to go on. What a champ. He told me I could just go with him to the decks and experience what he does first hand. Yay! This is what I'm talking about. I had left the Canon 550D with the club managers (probably a safer option in light of all the tequila I had drank) so I was left with my little quickpix. But fuck that I was in the DJ booth. I got all snap happy! I cannot tell you how grateful I am to have had that opportunity.
alex sweet charity
At around 3:30 Amy returned to my side. The girl had been partying like a superstar and she was exhausted. As much as I would have loved to stay for the end of the DK set, there is no way I would have made her wait for me in that state. So sadly I had to say my goodbyes. But the night did not end there. Amy and I made the taxi driver stop at five different petrol stations just so that we could get the perfect pie! Das Kapital you made my night.  Thank you for being such an amazing, humble and talented individual. Your music is great – you are great.

alex sweet charity


Please catch my official interview with Das Kapital next Monday (4th Feb), oh and go out and listen to his shit!



alex sweet charity
Duck-faced lovin'

No comments:

Post a Comment