Monday 22 April 2013

Friday night at Live - The Venue

alexsweetcharity.blogspot.com
It gets a 3 on the Kinsey scale. 


I had an amazing phone interview a few days ago with one of South Africa’s up-and-coming bands. These guys truly are amazing. Their music is amazing and the singer, I believe, has one of the best voices in the country. I just know these guys are going to be huge, and very soon too. My interview went wonderfully because the lead vocalist who I chatted to was an absolute treat. All too often the fame goes to the musos' heads and the band members walk around thinking they are Mr. Big Dick and they have no time for us little journalists. But not this guy: he was very polite, very sweet, and went as far as inviting me to be on his guest list for the band's gig this Friday. So of course I went – I would have gone anyway!

Saturday was my friend Chanelle’s birthday so naturally she was my plus one for Friday’s gig at Live – The Venue. Unfortunately I was a little late in meeting her at the Durban flat, so whilst I was getting my act together and driving down, she got stuck in to the Vodka. My fault really because I took so damn long. But by the time I got to her I had a lot of catching up to do, which I tried my best to do.  

By the time we got to the venue we had made best friends with our taxi driver, we sang him our favourite Zulu song, and had nearly got knocked over crossing the road, and then I nearly got electrocuted  when I walked into what I thought was a bank van, but what was actually an electricity station. Hot damn.

alexsweetcharity.blogspot.com
In the Taxi to Live.

We made our way to the bar, had a couple of drinks and reassessed our sobriety. I was ok, Chanelle remember had just polished of a bottle of vodka on her own. We decided to get meat pies. As fate would have it, we bumped into a rotti merchant at the door and he was good enough to deliver us the onioniest rottie ever. But it saved our lives. 

alexsweetcharity.blogspot.com
That face could melt the heart of a thousand warriors. 

The band started and we made our way to the front. Again I will say that this band is absolutely incredible. Their set is really tight, and let’s not forget that Live has got to be the best stage in terms of acoustics. That, combined with the voice of a baby angel and you get pure sexy magic onstage. We had a fab time.

After the set Chanelle and I went to say hello as I had promised to do. We waited patiently whilst all the lusty women and men did their usual gushing over the band. Once things had quietened down I approached a band member to introduce myself: “Hello, I am Alex with Media24. I did your interview last week. Thank you for coming so far to share your music with us”. I got a “Hello” and a grunt as he turned away from me. Yowzer! A little frosty for someone who had asked me to watch the band perform. Things got a little worse. I went to the vocalist who I had interviewed to introduce myself and left Chanelle standing with the other guy. She told me that after a while of standing next to him she said: “Hello you must be freaked out with me standing here.” “Yes I am,” he replied. So then the girl gives it here best; “It’s my birthday tomorrow – I’ll buy you a Jagermeister!” He moved away. 

alexsweetcharity.blogspot.com
I'll drink your Jagermeister!

This might sound a little silly, but if you are in a band, and you are doing well, there is a chance that you just might meet some girls who don’t actually want to fuck you. I get that there are groupies around, and in this band's defence they were being swarmed with pussay, but we were there as friends and as their guests. Yes we love you. No we don’t want you - just your music. Let this not tarnish their stellar performance and their absolute professionalism. I still think they are great, but common – it was Chanelle's birthday, let her buy you a drink for Christ’s sake!

But no, I still love you. After that we headed to Origin for another of my friend's farewell. But we ended up spending an hour at the hot dog stand instead where Chanelle got the biggest wors of her life. We ended the night on the couch watching The Banger Sisters, oddly enough, a movie about two groupies ...

alexsweetcharity.blogspot.com
Bend and snap!

No comments:

Post a Comment