Monday 1 April 2013

Splashy Fen 2013 - Part 2


Five minutes later I was face down in the brown ... At least I did not spill my tea.

This year’s Splashy Fen lived up to its name with a downpour starting on Friday night which cooled the Underberg Valley down after a scorching week of sunshine. The rain came back with a vengeance on Saturday night leaving me drenched, but it did not manage to dampen my spirits as I took to the various tents to stay dry, drink and listen to music.



This is the place where good clothes go to die.























After days of deliberation I had decided to travel down to Splashy fen on my own. I was really feeling good about this decision because I was going there to write so the fewer distractions the better. The night before I was to set off I got a message from my friend in Cape Town. He was on his way to Splashy and wanted to know if I wanted a ride. Considering that I am the world’s worst driver and have no sense of direction, I decided to change my independent woman attitude (to an extent) and become a co-driver. Anybody that drives from Cape Town to Splashy gets my company any day.


The beer tent became the host comedy
package on Sunday due to the rain
washing out the Splashy Fen Marquee. 
Unfortunately for my dear friend, we still ended up getting lost ... A good few times. I however call it divine intervention because by the time we eventually got there we had missed the torrential downpour.  My friend drove in his VW Caddy van – extra length, so we didn’t even have to pitch a tent. Once again I thank the stars because the rain meant that any actual camping - in a tent - would have sucked balls. Our ride had two mattresses in the back, two down duvets, blankets, pillows and all the comforts of home. Plus we were mobile so we could just pull up to the jol!

Besides the music -which was the reason I was at Splashy, my highlight for the weekend was spending the Saturday night downpour with one of my good friends in the beer tent. All I can tell you is that this man can drink. We started the night at the bar. He asked the bartender for a bottle of vodka and ten Red Bull’s. I know it is not good to judge, but if I were to guess, our bartender was about eighteen, she probably had never worked behind a bar and she was really out of her depth at this point in her life. Being the good girl she is, she asked her dad if it was OK. He said no. So my friend asked her if she could pour him thirty drinks instead. The look on her face made my night. We later bought a bottle of Jagermeister from her dad.


Some of our Easter entertainment.

Apart from the Easter eggs I got showered with on Sunday morning, I loved the ‘chill’ areas at this year’s festival. I spent hours in the smokers lounge, I don’t smoke, but it was fully equipped with couches, bean bags and the most amazing security man who kept fetching us tea and coffee. The Mobile Cafe saved my life, they sold over two thousand cups of warmth on Saturday alone and I swear most of them were sold to me. 

Food place ...
Aaand I am glad I didn't drive
my own car ...  
I have to thank so many people for my amazing weekend, you know who you are. But lets be honest, the music was amazing. Jay was charming, P.H.Fat broke me, Niskerone and Miki - Love, Veranda Panda, Paul Snodgrass killed and sharing Red Bull's with Phizicist -  the best.

And my yummy sponsored meals from Pasta Boys, I am sure that they know that I love them. Thank you Craig and Winton and that man from the Dominican Republic. I love you all.


I love Splashy

2 comments:

  1. What an awesome event, so glad to have been there with u. Lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete