Thursday 31 May 2012

Deliciousness

This peaceful young lady is not me...
This weekend saw the start of the annual Kadampa Buddhist festival in Mooiriver, on the foothills of the Drakensberg. It promised to be a weekend of quiet relaxation and meditation, surrounded by peaceful ravines, tweeting birds and Buddhist monks.

So there I was on Friday night confronted by my usual dilemma of what to pack and what to wear, how many pairs of heels are appropriate for two days...never mind the Buddhist retreat - I was off to Durban for a weekend party!
Paneer Palak
Before you get all excited about  my thrasher of a weekend let me say that I had a quiet one, a good weekend, but rather quiet...It started with Friday nights dinner at a quaint little Indian restaurant in Pietermaritzburg called Tandoor.  This has to be one of my all time favourite restaurants because the food is so amazing! But more importantly, the owners wear turbans which just makes the dining experience that much more authentic. Pietermaritzburg is a city that leaves a lot to be desired, but it often surprises with scatterings of such gems. So named because of the clay oven that the food is prepared in, Tandoor is located in upper Bulwer Street, far from the bustle of the city centre. My favourite dish is the Paneer Palak, it looks like a crazy mixture of mowed grass and braai lighters, but it tastes like a dream. I get it every time I eat here. The fun part of this dining experience, other than the bottles of wine we took with, is that the food is presented in an ensemble fashion so I get to taste everyone's food without looking rude.

My homies- head chef Jasbir Singh (left) and  co- owner  Jaswant Singh (right) hail from Punjab in India.

















Saturday saw a mildly shaky start with complements of the previous nights merlot. But I was soon on my way, starting with a farewell braai for my German friend at Amsterdam bar in Davenport Road, Glenwood Durban. Formally known as Rocker Bar, Amsties has an awesome, relaxed vibe, I have spent many a night there taking advantage of the half price specials.
 The braai soon turned into an amazing full night party. The most memorable moment has to be getting a lap dance from a man dressed as a hooker for his bachelors party. I may have touched his naked bum as he swung around a wooden pole outside. The German ordered two kegs and many frozen tequilas so I vaguely remember a peck on the cheek from a handsome man with a chiseled jawline, I am hoping this was not a dream. It could have been though...


Amsties, just a regular place, you know...with fire dancers etc...


To end a food filled weekend, my besties and I went to an all-you-can-eat Sushi bar in Umhlanga called Bamboo Lounge.  The name even sounds delicious, it conjures up all kinds of images of pandas eating in forests and frolicking around, perhaps some butterflies floating yonder... Seriously friends ALL-YOU-CAN-EAT! what we do is sit at the bar so that when the sushi is put out we get first dibs on all the delicious sushi, we leave all the boring stuff to the rest of the patrons. Their fault, they weren't fast enough!


This is too tempting
So that is the end of my delicious weekend, what a goodie. Next weekend is going to be amazing, here is a little preview for you. I better get some sleep.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-L746gczkQ&feature=related (this is my most favourite Haezer melody/ song/ leid ).

Friday is going to be insane!


1 comment: